Pavement Testing Services
Quantifying current and future pavement conditions is a challenge for many airports and highway agencies. Questions and concerns about current condition ratings, load-carrying capabilities, remaining service life, and pavement repair strategies are common. To address these needs, ARA employs a range of pavement testing technologies that include automated pavement surface condition assessment, structural evaluation, and a number of nondestructive evaluation techniques.
ARA provides pavement evaluation services for both airfield and highway pavements. We apply state-of-the-art technologies to assess existing pavement conditions, identify the remaining pavement service life, and develop cost-effective pavement rehabilitation strategies based on detailed life cycle cost analyses. Our fleet of pavement testing equipment and technologies includes:
- Falling weight deflectometer (FWD), ARA offers both the standard and heavyweight versions
- Rolling wheel deflectometer (RWD), an innovative device for continuous deflection measure and posted speeds and without impact to traffic
- Pavement friction tester that meets the requirements of ASTM E274
- Digital survey vehicles (DSVs) that capture geo-referenced digital imagery of the pavement surface and roadside assets and geo-referenced longitudinal profile, cross slope, and rutting data
- PaVision, an innovative, low-cost device for conducting automated pavement condition surveys
- Laser crack measurement system (LCMS), which uses laser line projectors, high-speed cameras, and advanced optics to acquire high-resolution 3D images of the pavement surface and associated distresses
- Lightweight profilers (LWPs) for assessing ride quality of newly constructed pavement
- Magnetic image tomography (MIT) technology, which measures dowel bar alignment in jointed concrete pavement
- Dynamic cone penetrometer (DCP), both hand-held and automated trailer-mounted systems and services
- Pavement coring using a high-speed trailer mounted system that allows for rapid coring and reduced lane closure times
ARA also works closely with established business partners to offer ground penetrating radar (GPR), laboratory testing, and related services.
Using our extensive fleet of pavement testing equipment and related technologies, ARA helps agencies address major questions and concerns regarding the condition and expected performance of their pavement structures. We can accurately assess both functional and structural characteristics of in-place pavements, project future performance, and identify when and how best to cost-effectively repair a pavement section for both near- and long-term considerations.
Mechanistic pavement design, evaluation and testing, pavement management systems, performance modeling, life cycle cost analysis, accelerated... more
Pavement and asset management, vehicle-based data collection, life cycle cost analysis, and construction and maintenance quality assurance systems... more